View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 03:33 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
If you are giving a speech, I think your topic of quilting is too broad. You could teach a whole semester on the topic! You need to narrow the field so it doesn't become "mush". Maybe you could demonstrate the tools of grandmother and the ones of today, explain the difference in the cost of a blanket and a quilt, the differences in fabrics, etc. But even these may be too broad. Narrow your topic and I think you will not have as much trouble with the process.
I agree with this. Since it's an informative speech, give info on something about quilting that you really enjoy and know a lot about. I like the idea of the math involved.

Someone questioned quilting as a topic to use with accounting students. A gazillion years ago I was a Home Economics student in the College of Agriculture (yeah, go figure). We were in classes with students from all of the colleges. Our speech class had a variety of majors represented. I remember there being chemistry majors, teachers, etc. WE learned from this group. Everyone used their field of expertise as topics for their speeches. I can remember giving a speech on How to apply a button. Some of these guys lived in the dorm with no mom available to replace their shirt buttons. A few weeks later, one of them came up to me and thanked me for giving that speech because he had had to use that info already.