Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Candace, wow what luck to find a "brand new 50 year old machine!" That is awesome. Did you purchase those two Elna's off of E-Bay? If so you really got a nice find.

As far as the first Elna, those friction pulley's are not that expensive. I bought one for a White off of E-bay. It wasn't a big deal. As you know you can't just buy the 'tire' you have to buy the whole friction pulley - but, I'd do that for the first machine. I am a problem, I know. I always fix what I can - I don't like making any machine a donor machine! That is my biggest downfall when getting the old machines! I want them up and running with all their parts!

Nancy
Nancy, no I don't buy machines via ebay. These were local. The pulleys are expensive, so I have to disagree there. They run at least $20 plus shipping and to rent a tool etc. I'm looking at about $35 and several hours of work. I'm talking about a part inside the machine that I did a tutorial for. Not a bobbin winding tire. Not worth it for the machine I have. I can't put that kind of money into a machine that wouldn't sell for much more or less. Feasibly it's not worth it!

There are special machines that are worth the money fixing. Especially if you want to keep it and use it. I will keep this "brand new Elna" for sure, but I can't pour money into machines that I don't plan on keeping.