View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 AM
patdesign

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
There is very little waste if you precut. I add about half an inch to the width of the cutting portion of the die, so have mostly just narrow strings left over. Some people roll excess fabric through, off to the side of the die. I haven't tried that yet but might in the future, as I do not like precutting fabric for the strip dies.

A lot depends on the type of quilts you want to make. I am currently working on strip type quilts, and the June Tailor shape cut works better than the Go for me when it comes to cutting strips. However, if you want to make a double wedding ring quilt, an apple core quilt, a Sunbonnet Sue fusible, or a quilt with lots of triangles or hexagons, the Go can make the cutting for such a quilt much easier.
Lets talk percentages, if you add 1/2 inch (the bare minimum) to all 4 sides of a 2 inch square, you are wasting 1inch of fabric on a 2 inch square. Doesnt sound like much until you start adding up for a big quilt. I found I was using 25% more fabric as a rule, and on expensive fabric, that is way too much.