View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
Lets talk percentages, if you add 1/2 inch (the bare minimum) to all 4 sides of a 2 inch square, you are wasting 1inch of fabric on a 2 inch square. Doesnt sound like much until you start adding up for a big quilt. I found I was using 25% more fabric as a rule, and on expensive fabric, that is way too much.
Your percentage works only if you are cutting one 2-inch square at a time. I have never used my Go in that way. When cutting strips, squares and triangles, I found the waste to be very similar to that for rotary cutting.

For example, the 2.5" strip die cuts 3 strips at a time. By pre-cutting my fabric 8" wide, I have (1/2"x42") total waste on 3*(2.5"x 42") cut fabric strips, or 21 square inches of waste for every 315 square inches of useable jelly roll strips. This is about 6.5% waste.

All of the dies that make multiple geometric cuts have a similar waste percentage, making The Go very comparable to rotary cutting in terms of fabric waste. I don't think most people would use the Go if they were getting 25% fabric waste on all their cuts!