View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 06:08 AM
JustAbitCrazy

I have one and I like it alot, but I haven't had it very long. The thread cutter does not work well with every brand of thread. I only use 100% cotton thread, and if you use a thread which comes on a short fat cone with a thick cardboard center core (Coats & Clark, Star), the top thread comes unthreaded from the needle and the last two thread guides and zips into the machine's housing. You will have to fish it out and rethread it after using the thread cutter. It works great with all the other brands of 100% cotton thread I have tried (Gutterman, Essentials by Connecting threads, Coats on the small brown plastic spool from JoAnn's, Aurifil). I have heard of other brands of machines doing this same thing when the thread cutter was used. Someone on here with a Pfaff Smarter C1100 solved this problem by having the dealer adjust the machine to leave longer (1.5 inch) thread tails. Also, even with short (0.5 inch) thread tails, you will get a small thread nest on the back of the bottom fabric when you start a line of stitching after having used the thread cutter. I understand it is unavoidable, because those thread tails just get caught up in the beginning stitching. It hasn't been a problem, really, other than it just looks messy. The thread cutter does save time and thread, though. You don't have to take the time to lift the presser foot, pull the thread out, pick up your snips and cut the thread. You also don't have to take the time to grab the threads when starting a line of stitching. Just sew. You should be able to get one for a good price. The msrp is 2,999.00, but mine was on sale for 1,249.00, and I got a 15% discount on that for taking the barely used display machine, so I paid 1,061.65, plus tax.