View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Kay in Iowa

Default Unexpected fire - beware!

Oh - to say I had a bad morning would be an understatement. I was piecing the backing for a very special memorial quilt I designed and pieced - which will be auctioned off for a college schlorship memorial fund. My Rowenta travel iron BURST INTO FLAMES as I was using it. It burnt the cord off - it was laying on the floor still plugged in - blackened my rings - blistered my hand and burned a HOLE bigger than a quarter in my backing fabric - WHICH I HAVE NO MORE OF! I was able to get the fire out by putting my other hand over the burning fabric on the ironing board. WHAT A MESS.................my DH came in the house and said "what happened" - "get the burn ointment and meet me in the kitchen" was all I could come up with.

Can't even think about how I'm going to fix this problem with the backing yet. Tomorrow is another day.

Will call Rowenta's customer service in AM to tell them I'm sending this iron to them and will request an explanation of what happened. Have NEVER had anything like this happen - ever. I even have the iron plugged into a timer so that it can't accidently be left on.......but it actually was on fire as I held it.

Hope this NEVER happens to anyone else.