View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 05:39 PM
kiffie2413

Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
We can argue this topic to death regarding waste and such no matter what tool we may decide to use to cut with.

Personally I would not be quilting today if it were not for these type machines. For a person who has mobility issues in there hands and arms an Accuquilt Go or similar die cutting machine is so worth it. As far as waste of fabric I have absolutely no waste using the GO, Studio, Westminster Pro cutting machines.

If you learn to use these machines correctly and as instructed you will have no waste of fabric. I line my fabric right to the cut line on one side and cut and repeat the process. I don't even leave 1/10th of an inch when I cut. I prefer using my Studio machine at home but I just as often use my GO if I want to cut in another room which for me is usually the dining room.

Since I am a fiber artist of sorts any left over pieces of fabric, threads and the like are used in my projects therefore no fabric is wasted ever.

Lets face it those that grew up on scissor or rotary cutting most likely will not like using a die cutting machine for the most part. Those of us who have never cut with scissors or rotary cutters or who have tried and find it cumbersome to use prefer a die cutting machine such as the GO.

I belong to a couple local quilt groups and I see all the time some waste good fabric cutting with a rotary cutter and I have also seen some do the same with a die cutting machine and its all because they have not been taught or learned how to measure and use the tools properly.

Lets face it what tools work for one may not for another or what one is comfortable with in using may not be for another.
Totally agree about the mobility issues! I have Lupus, and while it doesn't affect my left hand, and pretty much only 3 fingers on my right hand, that is enough to make for some major issues...as we all know, if everyone liked the same thing, what a dull world it would be, eh??..
Regards all,
Kif