Old 05-14-2012, 03:22 AM
Pinkwater

Default Beginner from Long Island, NY looking for local/virtual "group"

I've been piecing for about 3 years but am still working on very simple projects, most of my own design. I'm have had one top professionally long arm quilted and have machine quilted a few small pieces myself. I have 7 quilt tops of varying size waiting and am worried I'll ruin them so they are in a pile while I decide if I should take a lesson or two and try out long arm quilting or I should just send them out to a long armer. I am what I would call a "modern" quilter since I work more with simple designs and love the simplicity of the quilts that people like Elizabeth Hartman and Lotta Jansdorfer are creating.

That said, I'm lonely. I work long hours and didn't find any Kindred spirits at my local guild. I'm wondering if there are any folks out there in my area, the middle of Long Island in NY that would be interested in creating a renegade group to meet once or twice a month for mutual encouragement and brownies. I'm not a diehard, just someone who is looking to share the quilting experience with.

I'd also be open to creating an online group with new friends. I just did my first secret swap and loved it and am working on my first block swap. I'd love to know that I'm making blocks for someone who with either A) love them or B) be willing to laugh at them with me.

Post here and let's see what happens...