View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 05:05 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
'Contrast' comes in many flavors, and that selection of fabrics has more than you are giving it credit for. It has contrast of scale, value and texture just as it is and your pattern choice adds contrast of shape and size. All together, the voice is understated and restrained, yet solid, strong, and reliable. My sense is that is what your gran was instinctively drawn to. Think about her personality before you decide to add "oomph" or any loud contrast of color.

Placement of the fabrics within the pattern will be very important to the impact, so try several arrangements before you start to cut and sew anything. I think it has the potential of being a stunning, and very personal, quilt for your 'favorite human on earth'. Enjoy the journey.
Oh Ghostie .. you have said so much there!! Not just about this selection of fabrics but some very valuable words for all of us as quilters to use as guidance in choosing fabrics and placement within a quilt. I'm awestruck ... and saving these words of wisdom!!

StillClock ... These fabrics that your Gran has chosen are so typical for her generation. Very few of her age are drawn to the bright and bolds that we see many quilts made from today. In using Ghostie's thoughts, you can ensure that her "time" will stay in the finished quilt and not become something otherwise. I love the gentleness of the fabrics, and the comfort they seem to exude.