View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 AM
GramMER

Default What is your favorite Scrappy quilt

Originally Posted by kbishburg View Post
Please share your favorite scrappy quilt!
I am a newbie but have already accumulated a lot of scraps. So, about every couple of months, I make a scrappy quilt. The rule is that I can't purchase anything new but I can use anything on hand. My most recent was the D9P scrappy I posted last week. I made the blue squares small to increase the number of fabrics used and allow me to use smaller scraps (4 inch squares). So, I am always looking for scrappy ideas.
I really like the Log Cabin quilts to make the best use of leftover cloth. They can made to use all one type of cloth or they can be scrappy either one. I also like the strip quilting. There are so many choices with strip quilting.

We have a great granddaughter who was born the middle of February. *Her name is Cadence Rose and she is the first great grandchild for us and the first granddaughter for both sets of grandparents. *I guess she might be spoiled, but I hope not. Of course we had to come back to the US to see her and bring her something.

After our arrival April 26, I have put together quilt blocks made from four different sets of 2 1/2” strips to make a twin bed quilt. (Her aunt had already made her a crib quilt and she did not need two that size.) One set of strips was light pink; the second one was light pinks and spring greens; another was different prints of lavender and the last set was strips of different purples.

I sewed one strip from each set together to make a 8.5" wide stripe. *From there I cut the striped set to be 8.5" squares. *Finally, I put two squares facing each other (going opposite directions) and stitched them around the outside on all four sides. *Then I cut from corner to corner (both ways) making four triangles and opened them up to put the triangles together to make the blocks you see. *I plan to finish setting them together with green strips and quilt them with a pink rose print backing. *

You can see I have started the the green sashing on the bottom of each block, but I ran out of that fabric. *My daughter shared some of her cloth so now I have more green for stripping up and down and also a pink backing with tiny little roses. *I think this will have to be called "Scrappy Surprise" since it developed as I cut and sewed.

Here is the tutorial that I only saw once before I started Cadence's quilt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Ixv...feature=relmfu

You can see by my photo that what I did turned out totally different. *I told my daughters that I believed in evolution because I was not at all sure what might happen as I tried to replicate what I had thought I remembered. *Anyway I like what "evolved."

My work has taken less than a week to finish the blocks and it should not be much longer from here before the quilt is finished. *Some like to use the Jelly Roll strips, and that is the way to go to save so much cutting. *Usually the Jelly Roll strips come in sets of one color, so depending on what you want to do or who the quilt is for, you have infinite variety to choose from.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-05-07-iphone-057.jpg