View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Brynn

Originally Posted by cindynvb View Post
I don't know anything about vintage machines. What is so special about this one? When I'm out and about thrift shopping is there anything special I should be looking for?
The nice thing about this machine, and the vintage machines in general, is that they're all metal. No plastic gears or anything. That means they won't break from normal usage, and even abnormal usage; it would take an epic amount of force to break the gears on one of these monsters.

In addition, they tend to be more accurate and regular in their stitches. They're often more powerful, and cheaper than their modern equivalents because no one wants to bother with them or learn to use them. You can also perform most if not all maintenance yourself, with no need for a professional visit (though it's good to do checkups!).

Basically, they're a great way to 'get in touch' with your quilting, and to reflect on the amount of craftsmanship and work that went into these machines before they switched to plastic everything. They're beautiful even when not in use.