View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 AM
stillclock

i was with her when we bought the fabrics, and we talked about maybe needing to add something or other. i told her we wouldn't worry about it right then because i hadn't even conceived of a pattern and i thought maybe i could use some of the fabrics i already had at home if i needed them.

to be honest we stopped at the fabric shop just to pick up some safety pins for another quilt i was basting. it was a very spontaneous event, and we bought what we liked and thought might work. i think she has been waiting for me to make her one, and basting yet another one at her house for someone else was one step too far! you'd have to know my gran to know why i haven't done this for her yet, but to say that growing up she had these gorgeous white chenille bedspreads that jackie o had chosen for the white house and currently sleeps under a crisp white duvet with inset eyelet lace and white satin ribbon, about as classy and clean as you can get. not so much the scrappy american quilting tradition i love and work in, though i had considered a whole cloth quilt for her a few times but my stitching is simply too slow. it would be a memorial quilt for sure if i ventured down that road.

i don't imagine she will be hurt or at all surprised to find that i have added a fabric or two. i know that all quilts don't have to be eye-poppers or striking, and i've even made two cool and cozy quilts. i guess what i was worried about was bland as opposed to warm, boring as opposed to comforting.

thanks again for your thoughts and opinions. they really helped a lot!

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 05-16-2012 at 08:28 AM.