View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 12:13 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Some things to consider:
How many other machines have you tried besides this one?
What happens if you don't get enough jobs to make the monthly payment?
There is a lot more to purchase besides the basic setup, threads, batting, needles, tools.. and all things for LA are pricier than for regular sewing machines, at least it seems that way to me.
Do you have any business plan at all on getting clients?
Do you have the time to quilt for others?
After making such a huge investment would you really want strangers renting time on your machine? What happens if they break it?

Getting a LA is big investment. I saved for over a year to purchase mine and I still work full time so I only quilt on weekends and the occasional weeknight when I am not too tired. Thankfully I don't have to depend on clients to make payments because I am sure that would totally stress me out and I wouldn't enjoy it as much. Not to mention how scared I would be when I don't have any client quilts lined up. I also bought the dealer demo model to save on the cost.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom because I love it and wouldn't give it up and I have absolutely no regrets, but I also found out I have a natural talent for LA quilting. I have read many stories of people who made the huge investment and did not have the patience to put in the practice. They expected too much too soon and got frustrated and gave up.

Ultimately this only a decision you can make. There are many things to consider