View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 07:58 PM
roselady

I had never gotten used to a thimble even though I did lots of hand sewing as a young girl. When I wanted to learn to hand quilt I knew I would have to use a thimble. I progressed to what I use now. I started with a "Nimble Thimble", a small black leather one with a metal disk in the tip and a slit for a finger nail. I would wear it around the house just to get used to it. I quilted with it until I poked the needle through it one to many times, then I started looking at other thimbles. I then tried the plastic flesh colored adjustable open thimble, that worked great for quite awhile, I then bought a "Roxanne Thimble" I liked it a lot in one way but not for another reason. It is made so that you use the pad of your finger tip not the very tip, I really liked quilting that way. What I don't like about it is the shape of the cut out for your finger nail. It is very narrow. I guess my nails are kind of wide and if I let them grow at all (even a miniscule amount) the nail hits the edge of the thimble and it hurts. After learning to push the needle with the pad of my finger it was hard to find another thimble that worked like that, but I did. It is made by clover, it is a bronze color and it is adjustable. It looks alot like Roxannes. I love it. Even though I got used to using a thimble for quilting, I still couldn't use one for other hand sewing, (weird I know). I now use the little leather stick on "dots" when hand sewing.