Thread: I was so sad...
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Katia

You should be proud of yourself for introducing these kids to a beautiful art. But you are right. It is a shame that kids don't see the things some of us took for granted. My kids saw a lot of sewing. My sisters, mom and grandma all sewed to some degree. Plus throw in a little knitting and crocheting. It was just a normal thing for them.

I do have to get a kick out of one of my grandsons. My daughter sews and has made quite a few quilts and other things. But for some reason he thinks I am the expert maker person. His words, not mine. The other day he told his mom to call and ask if I would make him a shark or crocodile. Okay, that's interesting. Then a week later he wanted to know if I had started because he wants it to be a great white shark now and as big as his body. So I am thinking maybe a sleeping bag? I have no pattern, so I guess I have to wing it. Last request was a real ninja suit, blue please. Which did turn out cute. If he were closer he would help. He loves to go to the fabric store and help match fabrics and later to work on stuff. He just turned six, so not really a lot of help, but he does enjoy the experience. He is supposed to come for a visit this summer, so I am thinking of doing it then so he can help. I need to work on a pattern.

I think that it is so important for kids to get a well rounded look at least of all the home arts. We need to know more then how to go through a drive through or dial a phone to get food. And to have the relaxation of some kind of hobby. No matter what that might be. I know a lot of people that do not have any hobby at all. Nothing. They work, and that is about it. They hire someone to do the house cleaning and take care of their kids. They run the kids here and there so someone else can teach them baseball or dance or even to read. My dad taught me baseball and how to ride a horse and a bike and take care of the cows we had. My mom taught me to sew and to read, to crochet and cook or bake, and of course to clean. My grandma taught me to dance and to walk like a lady and talk like an educated person. Sure, I went to school and church and all that, but my parents were always laying down the basics. I did the same with my kids. And now I tell them every once in awhile to slow down. Take the time to garden and sew and read to the kids. Sometimes it seems like all the running around just makes circles.