View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 02:15 AM
Vintage.Singers.NYC

Oh--you misunderstand, I'm not trying to sell you a machine! I was trying to warn you that someone could recommend a specific model for you, you could find that model, but then discover the machine you bought was not in peak condition and thus not up to the task. While you're on the right track by soliciting specific models to check out, I'm basically trying to make the point that you oughtn't buy a machine sight unseen, but should instead test it first with the actual fabrics you'd like to sew. Even with the models we recommend here, I think you'll find at least a few of the actual machines you'll look at will choke on the work because the previous owner did not keep it ship-shape.

I'm only familiar with Singers--obsessed might be a better word--and out of the models you've listed:

The Singer 285 is widely considered to be junk. It's a 3/4-sized machine that's noisy and poorly designed & built compared to what Singer produced in their prime.

The 301 is popular, but it's a slant-needle machine. That means the needle doesn't go straight into the material, but comes in at a slight angle. So with very heavy work, you may get some deflection, which could prove problematic.

I don't have any experience with the other Singers you listed, as they're outside of the range of Singers I collect and fix; I only go after the well-designed, sturdy and all-metal models. For domestics, I'd recommend that you look at a 15-91 and/or a 237 or 239. You may find the latter two are noisy, but they're solid.

If you're looking to buy something new that will definitely do the task, I'd recommend looking into a Sailrite machine. They're an American company that makes machines (in America!) the old-fashioned way in that they use cast-iron bodies. Best of all, they deliver a walking foot feeding system in a domestic-sized machine:

http://www.sailrite.com/Ultrafeed-LS...h-Walking-Foot

hope that helps,