View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 03:11 AM
NJ Quilter

Another self-taught thimble user here. And like many others, had plenty of trial and error finding one that I could actually use. I finally found the Thimblelady thimbles. Somewhat similar to Roxanne's in that they are open-ended but more cone shaped with a larger open top. And like Roxanne's, you push with the pad of your finger - not the top. I started with their plastic one to confirm size and style and have since bought 2 of the stainless steel ones. They are about $35 I think. The plastic about $10. Their sizing instructions I find to be very accurate. I hand quilt with the thimble on my middle finger and a rubber finger tip (the kind used to count money/paper from the office supply store) on my index finger to help with needle pulling. If I'm not mistaken there are videos on her website for use of the thimble (along with her very long needles) which are helpful. I originally saw the demo on the Alex Anderson show. I have also used her needles but find them a bit bendy. That might be because I use W&N batting. I now use Roxanne #11 betweens for quilting. Very sturdy and keeping the sandwich loose can get some nice small stitches. Good luck with your quest.