Thread: I was so sad...
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 AM
WMUTeach

My paying job is at a university in the Family and Consumer Sciences department. Among other things we include basic sew skills to advanced pattern and costume design. We have full classes and most students are eager to learn these skills. It is common for our students to come with little to no experience with the art of sewing. All leave with usable knowledge and a number of them begin a career as a fashion or costume designer in our sewing lab. Others are learning skills that they will be teaching in high schools. We don't see "home economics" classes any longer but there is a reemergence of "life skills" classes in our high schools. Folks have discovered that to be a good consumer means to cook your own healthy food, mend your own clothing and care for your own home and car. It is a thrill to see our students making garments, bags and costumes for theater. Can a quilt or other needle craft be far behind? I used some of their space one day to layer a quilt and students asked many questions and were truly interested in the process. Bottom line is the interest is there in our children and young adults. We need to connect with them and show them the thrill of the needle and rotary cutter!!