View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 AM
homebody323

I've had my Gammill Classic + since '96 and would not encourage anyone who can't make the payments for at least 8 months from another source - to make the leap. Stress of money can certainly affect all you do creatively and affect your homelife and relationships. I would never rent my machine - if they break it you are going to end up paying. Don't think it's worth the risk. Especially if you have a new business and your own committments are ending up delayed because of it. Your reputation is primary. If you decide to procede - the way I started, I bought enough from a couple shops for a sample they could hang on their wall. Pieced and quilted it - gave it to them. They got a free sample. People always want the fabrics they see done up if it's nice. In return, they gave out my cards and of course the sample showed my skills. WIN-WIN. I was able to deduct the cost of the materials as advertising expense. I did that for 2 local shops and that is the total of my advertising since the beginning. I will do some charity quilts, but set my limits for the year and when someone asks me about doing their charity quilt for free. I decide if it's a charity I believe in and if not, I say I have already committed all the charity spots on my schedule.
Recently I have changed my way of scheduling regular quilts. A quick turn around is bringing in more business every week and I'm keeping up. I work 1 day a week out of town to sub for my office replacement from the old days. A lot of my customers are in that area. I pick up at my 1 day job and bring back the following week. No interruptions during the days in between. The day after I pick up, I call each customer and tell them what their bill will be, before I start quilting. They can cancel at that time if they like - doesn't matter. You may need some experience before your customers say do whatever you like. All mine do and that is so nice. Often I see something I want to do to a quilt that I didn't quote for - if I do it - the price doesn't change. It fills my need to create and Enjoy the process. I don't get to feeling like it's drudgery as I would if I were locked in to something. Each quilter does their own thing, their own way and I only say what has worked for me. Hope it works out for you too.