Thread: I was so sad...
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 05:33 AM
judys

I took my spinning wheel to our preschool a few years ago and showed the children how to make yarn from wool. I had some wool that was right from the sheep, full of lanolin and some dirt, and had some wool that was washed and that I hand carded for them. Then I had some fluffy white wool that had been washed, carded and was ready to spin. They were fascinated by the whole process. I know none of them had seen anything like that in their lives. Probably their parents hadn't either. It was great fun.
This year one of the teachers is retiring. I ironed white fabric to freezer paper and cut it into 6-1/2" squares and had the children each draw their own picture on a square. I took these home and just used sashing and corner stones to put them together. Then I used that wonderful binding that Charisma told us about with the two colors that you sew to the back and then topstitch on the 'flange' color on the front. Turned out well and I plan to use that binding again and again. We will present it to the teacher at our 'graduation party' this evening. I think she'll be pleased. Sure was fun.