Thread: I was so sad...
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 AM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
I find that the domestic skills are becoming of more interest to the current generation. I could cook and sew when I was 8 years old but I didn't want people to know that even when I was an adult. One of my most embarrassing moments in junior high was winning a home ec award. Thanks to cable tv these skills are no longer looked down upon and it is okay to find pleasure in them.

Today in a meeting at work one of my co-workers said she thought I should make everyone a quilt for Christmas and that she just LOVED quilts. Twenty years ago I wouldn't have let her know I sewed let alone quilted. Times are changing.

My DIL is a medical resident I taught to sew. Some of her friends now want her to teach them. Society is reaching the point where we can appreciate the skill and talent in all fields, I believe. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of these mothers pursue sewing because we are so interested in keeping our children happy today.
I have never in my life been embarrassed that I could sew, or knit, or cook. I was one of several kids who wore clothes in the style and colors I WANTED. And I was always proud of my sweaters that I wore to school. Befroe I was even in high school, my baked beans were requested at dinners around here. Can't even imagine being embarrassed about my accomplishments------------and I did it without one single home ec class.