View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 PM
An Arm Long

I bought a Baby Lock Crown Jewel a year ago and have done 21 quilts on it so far. I would say go for it if you are willing to practice alot and a long time and to take classes. I have helped two friends to use it after a day of practice for each. I did not charge as I am still considering a business but need more time. It was an experiment so to speak. And now I have decided that I will not rent it out as it takes way too much of my time to teach a person to use it and that I am getting good enough to quilt for others.
To me the best thing about the Baby Lock was the 4 day class with Kay Capps Cross in St. Louis. (4 days morning through evening with meal breaks) It costs and you have to pay to stay in a hotel or motel, but I came away feeling like I really knew my machine and frame and that I could do it.
I have quilted for others on quilts that our guild is doing for charity (no charge) and found that to be a wonderful way to get experience. But first I did some of my own so that others could see that I wouldn't destroy their quilts!

I have saved all my receipts for all the items I have bought for it and will possibly start a business as some point, but do not want a full time job.

I love the machine - so smooth and easy to use. I have had no problems with it. PM me if you need more info on that machine.