Thread: I was so sad...
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Scrap41

I learned to sew when I was in 4-H; took Home Ec. but I learned more from my 4-H
leader and my grandmother when it came to sewing. I taught 4-H sewing when my
DD was in 4-H and I have taught both of my GD's how to sew, they haven't finished
their 1st baby quilt, yet....but I have hope that someday they will find the time to do
it. They found boys and then forgot about sewing. When I did ISS (in school suspension)
I could work on anything I wanted while they had to do homework. I was hand piecing an
apple core quilt, so I sometimes was hand piecing or cutting out the apple cores with
a rotary cutter. Those boys were so interested in what I was doing....I even let one of
them cut out a few apple cores...although I made sure they did it slow and easy. Another
time I was writing out my Christmas cards and they wanted to know if they would get a card too,
so I gave each of them their own Christmas card. I never had trouble with any of the kids
while they were in ISS except one time and I asked the Principal if I had to listen to the
bad language....boy did he let them know they couldn't use that language in ISS or around
any of the substitute teachers. They don't teach sewing right now in our school, due to lack
of funding or the teacher doesn't want to teach it. They do learn to cook some. They need to
learn how to sew up a rip or sew a button on at some time in their life.