View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Betty Ruth

I've a;ways thought of myself as a frugal quliter, but I definitely do not meed y our definition. I have 2 sewing machines, both Singers that I've had for years. I use one until it needs cleaning or some other minor repair. Then, I exchange it for the one stored in the bottom of our bedroom closet, and I call the sewing machine repair lady and ask her to drop by when she has time. For fabric, I do cut up gently used clothing purchased at garage sales or rummage sales. I also check thrift stores for fabric sales. Walmart has brought back their fabric department. I recently bought some pretty nice fabric there for 50 cents per yard. I wasn't crazy about the color or pattern, but it'll be perfect for the back of a small quilt. Once people know that I make quilts, people give me boxes of fabric, some scraps and some long lengths. I take any and everything offered. If I can't use something, I pass it on, usually to our local charity thrift store. Due to my trembling hands, scissors are seldom used except to cut thread. I couldn't do without my self healing mat, rotary cutter, and my assortment of rulers.