View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 AM
moonrise

Technically I'm sure I'd lose, but:

I have 9? 10? machines total, most of which I inherited from my dear grandmother. On the ones I bought myself, I researched them like crazy before plunking down the money. I don't generally part with a dime until I know I'm getting my money's worth.

I do buy decent-quality quilting fabrics, but I shop sales and/or use coupons every single time. I'll pay $8 or (ideally) less for good-quality fabric, but no more if I can possibly help it. The way I figure it, I want my quilts to last for years, and if I'm going to take the time to make one, I want to do it to the best of my ability with the best supplies I can get. That said, I'm not at all a fabric snob. If I happen across some decent-quality fabric that's cheap or free, I grab it up! My great-grandmother made quilts with whatever scraps she could find, including clothing, and those quilts are soooo pretty.

I also don't buy books or patterns if I can help it. There are too many free patterns out there. When I do buy books, I buy them used. As long as the books are readable, I don't care if someone else read them first. (Exception: Books that come with printable patterns on a CD. I'd rather get those new instead of risking the CD being scratched up or otherwise unusable.)

I'm super-frugal in other ways around the house, so it kind of makes up for the cost of my hobbies. No cable TV, no satellite, basic internet, no credit cards, no vehicle payment, use coupons when grocery shopping, no home phone (cell phones only), etc. I even recycle toilet paper.

Just kidding on that last one! Had you going, didn't I? LOL!