View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 AM
themachinelady

I don't have a longarm system, but hope to when I get the room. The house we own now does not provide me enough space for one. That having been said, hasn't kept me from looking at what is available out there. How many different longarms have you tried? I have tried a bunch and thought I knew which one I wanted and then tried an Innova at our State Fair this past year and my mind has been changed completely. You can move them with one finger they are so easy to manuever. Who knows by the time I get around to purchasing I may change my mind again, as I intend to keep looking and trying all I can as they make improvements all the time. I have seen people on the board say they are very satisfied with "this and this" and when I tried those machines, I found they definitely were not to my liking.

So think about what features you want on a machine and try 'em all with an open mind. Know that it is gong to take a lot of practice and I do mean a lot, and when you take in quilts from others, you are dealing with imperfect quilts most of the time and by imperfect I mean wavy borders to compensate with, not well sewn seams, crooked rows etc. which show up when you put them on a quilting machine. I have used an older model, no stitch regulator (which I have decided is a MUST when I make my purchase) and have done some tops for members of our club and for charity and believe me there is a LOT to learn in the process. I still have a long way to go, but am improving, but am not a natural like some people.

As for a business, don't count on it paying for your setup, if you go into business look at it as an added plus that you have gained. A lot of times when it becomes a business it is no longer fun and you may not want to do it, plus the pressure of perhaps an unhappy customer etc. So make a list of all the things that can go wrong and then imagine a lot more you haven't even thought of. Weigh the pluses and minuses and go from there, but definitely look at all brands and try them out, maybe more than once before purchasing.

Good luck in your endeavor whatever it may be and God Bless!

themachinelady