Thread: I was so sad...
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Halo

It is a shame that kids are not taught the basics on how to take care of themselves anymore. There will be a time when these skills will be needed. I taught my two girls & son how to cook & sew & do crafts out of nothing but stuff around the house. They ended up teaching their kids how to cook & do crafts, but never got into the sewing bug. When my next to the oldest DGS was 8, he wanted me to teach him to sew. So we spent lots of weekends together. He was so tickled to be able to make all his Christmas gifts with G-Ma. One day in my sewing room we got to talking about music. I ask him if he wanted to hear some of my old songs when I was a teen. So I pulled out my old 45 records & he said "WOW G-Ma, I've never seen CD's that big before." LOL I also taught three GDS to sew & make quilts.

I have a stepdaughter that her mother would not allow communication with while growing up. When she turned 18 we got in contact with her. Anyway, her mother didn't teach her how to cook or sew. When she got married & moved over seas with her DH, she would call me from there & ask me to guide her through cooking home made bread, egg noodles, etc. They just came back to the States last summer & we went to visit with them for the first time in 11 years & 4 kids later. She & the girls wanted to learn how to sew. Boy what fun that was. They have really taken to it & are sewing up a storm. She just sent me a purse she make me for Mothers Day. When she has a question, she calls & I guide her through it. So I am still being a long distant teacher & loving it.
she said her DD #2 still brags to everyone that she got to sew with her G-Ma. Can hardly wait to get together with them again. Oh what fun we had at the fabric shop together too.

So it was a great job for you to put an interest in the little ones to want to sew & be proud of something they made themselves.