View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 AM
margecam52

I would look long and hard at getting a longarm machine since you will have to finance it. When you see longarm quilter's out there making 400.00 for a full size quilt..that's not the norm. The pros can do it, a person new to the process needs about 6 months to just get used to the machine and learn to do a good job. There is more to using a longarm machine than what you do on a home machine.

Join a Babylock Crown Jewel yahoo group, or several longarm groups. See what others are doing, how it's working for them.
I can tell you now...there will be tension issues...it's normal, these are not home machines...the tension can change every quilt, every thread. Fun? Yep, once you get past the learning, it can be a lot of fun!
I have a TL18LS with Qbot attached & love it.
Another thing with joining a yahoo group for the Babylock Jewel...you can see if there are any for sale on there. Could save you a lot of money.
Starting a business is not hard, but depends on your area...there are licenses in some states, and other fees. You need insurance. Do you have a dealer near you where you can rent a machine for awhile...to see if it's what you want to do? I get a quilt or two a month (don't really advertise at all)...sometimes more, sometimes none. If you can't afford the payment without quilting for others...I'd rethink the purchase for now. But, if your area has a lot of quilters & you know they can't find a longarm quilter...you may be ok. Is there a local guild? Join it and see what you can find on other quilter's.

Originally Posted by kcferrel View Post
I am seeking feedback and thoughts on purchasing a longarm. I am considering the Babylock Crown Jewel and frame. I attended HMQS last week and have made an offer.
My arguments for: I have the interest and passion for Fmq and I have the room in my house. I am fairly new to quilting, around 2 years. I have taken many hours of workshops in quilting the quilt and i am getting competent.
<than 2="" years)
How difficult is it to start a longarm quilting business?
I am afraid that if I start taking in outside work I may burn out and be left with a large investment.
I have been looking for a used long arm but honestly, this set up new cost less than most of the used machines I have found. Thoughts? Ideas? Gotchas?
i would need to take in quilting to offset the cost of the machine, or I could rent time to other quilters?
thank you, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience in this form.
</than>