Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Glad that everyone enjoyed the little walk around my back yard! Further down that hill you come to a narrow flatland, with two small man-built ponds in a creek that flows thru my property. And onwards to limestone rock outcroppings, and overhangs ... yes, you can stand under those overhangs. And if you're ambitious you can climb up the rock to the rest of my property which ends, looking down at a river. Angling across the back is my property boundary, which has a busy rail line .... trains can go thru to Chicago along these tracks! Also, the commuter trains in the opposite direction to Toronto.

And yes, this back part of my property is pretty much what attracted me to it, when I purchased it, 9 yrs ago. The front has the typical open lawn, with trees between me and the neighbours, on both sides. And more trees screening the property from the road. So for drive-bys to look in, they pretty much have to stop at the laneway to get a view! Lilacs are all along the lane, and I noticed today that the first blooms are there ... hard to find yet, so I will wait a few days, then start filling the house with them and their aroma!

OKSGlad ... the periwinkle or vinca was here when I arrived. The former owner had planted it and it has just gone wild. Honestly, I don't think you have to do anything with it ... just plant it and it takes off. I will say that I was thinking it's the prettiest it's ever been this year ... and I think it has gotten a lot thicker and spread immensely these last years. I love how the forget-me-nots pop up amidst it .... and other things too! And then, later on, the weeds do too! .... now that's not so nice.

What a great 4-H Club, dog agility!! Granted, I'm sure there's a lot of farm dogs that are not impressed with what their young masters are putting them thru now!!! Crops are really going along for you folks! Last of the beans are going in, in this area and the ground is like powder. WOW! Your school kids get out early .... elementary go right thru til the end of June here. Secondary get out mid June'ish, depends on their semester structure, and when the individual student's exam schedule is over. Then both start back the day after Labour Day. So with kids off ... you'll have more help soon! (right!!!!!)