Old 05-19-2012, 01:44 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
She isn't scamming anyone. She never claims any of her machines are rare/hard to find...unless they are. I was kinda disappointed in my 403A 'cause there was NOTHING that needed adjusted, cleaned, or fixed...I repair/restore machines myself & really enjoy it! The machines she sells run like new. In many cases, she replaces plastic gears with metal before she'll sell a machine so it'll last a lifetime. She also offers lifetime support & repairs...because she also guarantees her work. Most people are more than willing to pay for that because the vast majority of sewers not only don't do their own repairs...a lot of them are scared to change the tension. This wasn't important to me as in 50+ years of sewing, I've NEVER run across a problem with a mechanical machine that I couldn't repair myself. But, it is important to a lot of buyers. In my opinion, you're only scamming someone if you're misrepresenting what you're selling. I've bought a LOT of vintage machines in my life...& other than accepting a return (within a week or so), she's the 1st seller I've ever run across that actually will guarantee her work for as long as you own the machine. She'll replace or repair it for free.

This lady isn't a friend of mine...I just bought a machine from her & can vouch for her honesty.
Those Singer 15s with a potted motor could be a B*&%h to redo. Check the motor redo on Rain's blog: http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/12/ho...rt-1-wire.html I don't blame her for charging that much if she has redone the potted motor. That kind of guarantee is worth it too. I think if you focus on what you can buy 'in the raw' it is different than what you buy that has been 'professionally' rebuilt. If you consider what a machine built like that would cost if it were new it is a steal! I have one or two that may be worth that much because they have NEVER been used... but to be totally safe, the wiring may need to be replaced from age and setting in a barn for all those years.

BTW the 403 may never need much fixing - those are a great machine!!!