Thread: I was so sad...
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Sadiemae
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
You were indeed lucky then. I was born in 1964. I was the daughter of a divorce' (his choice, not hers) in a small town in the 70s. I was making clothes for myself, my sisters and my mother before I was 10. Kids made fun of me. They would check the fabric in the local dime store to see if what I wore matched it and tease me about it.

On the other hand, my mom's friends were amazed at how well I sewed. But I sewed out of necessity not pleasure. It was only when my sons were in college and THEIR girlfriends thought it was great that I took pride in it. In my step-family it was considered cheap to give a gift home made. My girls love them.
I am just a little older than you are. My Mom was a fantastic seamstress and made all of my clothes. Noone cared where anyone's clothes came from as long as they had clothes. This is probably because I lived in a rural farming area, and most people were just trying to survive. When I was in high school I was really excited to buy my first dress from a store. Boy, was I disappointed!!! That dress was not as nice and did not fit as well as the dresses that My Dear Mom made. My Mom passed away 10 years ago, and I find it almost impossible to get clothes that fit. One of the many things I miss about my Mom. She was the best person I have ever known.