View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Maggiem

I love fusible batting and have used it on all my latest quilts - ever since I discovered it. The largest I have made is a twin size.

I use Hobbes 80/20. it is low loft and washes beautifully, with no stiffness left. I cut it to size, spread it carefully on the backing, spread out the top carefully and iron it from the center, if it's a big quilt, or from top to bottom, if it's small enough to do on the ironing board. Once the top is ironed, I let it all cool, then turn the sandwich over and do the same thing from the back, so that the backing is well attached as well. If there are creases, you can re-position the backing easily since the 'gluing' is not too strong.

During the quilting process, I will sometimes re-iron the layers, especially if I've been stuffing the sandwich through the machine throat a bit too energetically or too often.

I find that the best results are when you use pure cotton fabric both on the top and the backing. It works on polyester, but not with quite as much stability.

Fusible batting is wonderful for quilt as you go strip quilts: the batting does NOT stick to the iron, and you can really get the strips straight and well pressed.

If it didn't exist, or if I could no longer get it, I think I would have a real problem, since I don't baste well at all!

Might I add that fusible batting is NOT the same as fusible fleece? I think there might be a bit of confusion on this.

Last edited by Maggiem; 05-20-2012 at 08:14 AM.