View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Neesie

Default Advice for Kids' Quilt Project?

This summer, my DH and I will be hosting a mini "summer day camp," for my 9 yo DGD and a couple of 6 yo girls. I thought it'd be fun to introduce the girls to quilting, so decided to let them each help make a small quilt. My idea is to have each girl help make a small (kid-sized - about the size to cuddle under, on the sofa) quilt. I'm thinking something VERY simple, like large blocks, for which the girls will choose fabrics (which will already be bought and cut) and order of arrangement. Then they can draw simple shapes (on fusible paper-backed web, with or without templates) and choose fabrics for those shapes to become applique. I'll iron the pictures onto the applique fabric, then they'll cut out the shapes. I'll iron and then stitch them onto the blocks, then do the rest of the machine stitching. The quilts will be sandwiched and turned, then I'll just SID the blocks and outline the perimeter. The next day(?), the girls can go back and add ties.

Okay! My question is - in your opinion, which type batting would work best for this project? These little quilts will likely end up being washed a lot. Is there a batting that's sturdier than others, with minimal quilting? Any I should avoid? Needless to say, I don't want to spend a fortune on this. I have Warm & White and some of the lower-loft poly batting. I haven't yet used any of the higher-loft battings but am thinking it'd be more "fun" for the kids . . . but then I'd have to hand out the long needles. Maybe safer to just stick with the W&W. Opinions? If I use the W&W, the ties may not be needed, depending upon the size of the blocks. Okay, I've just about talked myself out of the higher loft. LOL

Another question - what is THE BEST marking pen, for the girls to use to write their names? I've heard the Pigma eventually fades and I'd hate for that to happen!

Also, any other ideas? I want the girls to be able to do as much of the work as possible BUT need to keep it simple, as a 6 yo's fine motor skills are generally not yet well developed. I want the quilts to showcase THEIR work, not mine. Also, I want the quilts to be something they can USE and not worry about ruining.

Thanks, everyone!

Well, I'm off to WalMart again, this time in search of a variety of girly fabrics, on sale! Such a worthy excuse, to buy more fabric!