View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 AM
ThayerRags

Default MUTT (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle)

Taking a treadle along to remote locations can be fun, but can be hard on the treadle, the cabinet, and the person(s) that have to deal with loading, unloading, and handling it. I started gathering parts and pieces for one a little over a year ago, and now I’m getting close to having one. I got the idea for my MUTT from the discussions about multiple top inserts in one treadle over at the Treadle-On Group, but I wanted a treadle that I could interchange tops on for different sewing machines, and could transport it easily. I started out with a Singer Industrial treadle stand, but soon realized that there are lighter treadle stands that would serve the purpose just as well. So now, I guess that I have two MUTTs in the works, since I still have the industrial stand, and I still think about the potential uses of that large flywheel, but I’ve switched to a Singer straight-leg (household use) stand for the time being.

The stand is a Singer tubular straight-leg with the original wooden cabinet removed. I also removed the skirt guard around the flywheel. Top #1 that I’m using for the common Singer heads is from a Singer Model 56 (electric) Economy Cabinet. Top #2 that I’m using for a Bernette 3-thread serger is the fold-out extension from the Model 56 cabinet, inverted to use the best surface, with a belt slot cut near the front edge. These two tops are attached to the stand with 4 screws. I’m working on a Singer 3/4-sized top, but haven’t gotten it going yet, and want to eventually have tops for several different machine heads, including a free-arm machine. I’m planning on using a folding L-shaped accessory table to provide an extension for all of the tops when needed. It’s in the planning stages.

I’m still working out the details of belting for each machine. The Singer 306W (zigzag) machine and the Singer 66 Redeye can both use the same regular leather belt, although it’s a little snug on the 66. I’ve been experimenting with oxygen tubing on the serger, but I don’t think I’ll use it for permanent belting.

Is anyone else experimenting with a stripped-down traveling treadle?

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine485t_11.jpg   machine485t_12.jpg   machine485t_13.jpg