View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Neesie

Originally Posted by denveremerson View Post
I really like your ideas. Do you plan on having the girls piece the blocks together?

That's still kinda up in the air. I'd like for them to do as much as possible but will have to see just how much time we'll have, etc. Originally, I was thinking I would piece them, in the kids' arrangements. After reading Karen R's suggestions, I'm now thinking maybe the kids could do at least a little bit of machine sewing. It would certainly make the quilts more special.

By hand, or machine? I'm working with my 9 y.o. DGD with sewing projects, but the machine really intimidates her. I don't think a 9 y.o. hand pieced quilt would hold up to washing, but I want her to feel that she really has made this little quilt. Suggestions??
Many posts back, I read something about a sewing machine finger guard. Wish I'd bookmarked that post! I agree about the hand sewing not holding up to washing. I've seen my DGD's hand sewing and it's impressively neat . . . but the stitches are much too big, for piecing. I'm going to start her out on the machine, with me controlling the speed, until she proves she can keep her fingers clear of the needle.