Old 05-22-2012, 05:37 AM
Crossstitcher

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Cathy or any of you other knowledgeable people, Kathie S called me last night asking about a Brother her daughter picked up at a Thrift store for $15. She took the machine to a repair shop because it doesn't work just to see what is wrong with it. They said it needed to be timed, and need a bobbin case. She didn't leave the machine because she couldn't afford what they were asking to fix this $15 machine. My question - I don't have any Brothers - but, I'd bet a common 15's bobbin case would work on the Brother? Is it common for their timing to be messed up? My only experience with a Brother was 40 years ago - not a good experience - so I avoid those machines. I haven't seen the machine, nor do I know how old it is. I guess what I am asking is do these machines use a common bobbin case, and are they known for having timing issues? The one I had ages ago drove me nuts because I could never get the tension right!

Nancy
Nancy I have a manual for a Brother select a matic 1955 and the bobbin case looks as if it's the 15 case.