Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 PM
happyquiltmom

First, make sure there is plenty of table space behind the machine and to the left. You don't want the weight of the quilt to hinder free movement under the needle. I don't roll my quilt, I just smoosh it as I go. I think rolling and re-rolling wastes too much time and makes the quilt too stiff to move easily.

I use Machingers gloves for better gripping power. These are my favorite because threads don't stick to them and you don't have to keep taking them off when you clip threads.

I would suggest that you take a FMQ class if you haven't already. I learned alot in the one I took, especially what I was doing WRONG! I also love books like Harriet Hargraves' Heirloom Machine Quilting, and Diane Gaudynski's Guide to Machine Quilting and Machine Quilting Guidebook.

Longarm quilting is totally different than quilting on a domestic machine. With a longarm or other frame system, you are moving the machine over the surface of the quilt. With a domestic machine, you are moving the quilt under the needle.

It takes awhile to get a rhythm going between your hand movements and machine speed. It takes TONS of practice to get to the point where you are happy with stitch length and motif shapes. I highly recommend that you make several practice sandwiches before you attempt to work on a quilt.

I see now that you are probably talking more about straight quilting with a walking foot. Alot of this post is referring to free-motion quilting. But, you still need the table space!