Old 05-22-2012, 07:02 PM
BuzzinBumble

Default Know a great electric, gear driven straight stitcher?

Hello! I’d like to tap all this amazing vintage sewing machine talent here on the QB and ask for some advice.

Ever since my daughter permanently borrowed our shared Singer 401A, I’ve been hankering to get myself another vintage machine. We just bought our other daughter a beautiful Singer Rocketeer and I learned to give it a simple servicing. This could get addictive. My DH is now talking about taking it up as a hobby and actually told me to buy myself a vintage machine!

For my purposes, I only need a simple machine that can handle lots of straight sewing. I'd like to find one with a terrific straight stitch with reverse / electric motor / metal gear driven / ability to use a walking foot / and maybe a larger throat space / something I can FMQ with / good visibility of the needle and good lighting. That doesn't necessarily mean the feed dogs have to be droppable, because I currently prefer simply setting the stitch length at 0 on my BabyLock, even though the feed dogs can be dropped. And as for the throat (harp?) space, the Rocketeer didn't have any more than my Babylock, which has a workable 7.5inches.

I was drooling over 301’s but don’t know if there are others I should consider as well.

Does anyone have a favorite or two that meets a lot of these wishes?

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 05-22-2012 at 07:05 PM.