View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 07:43 AM
bettysew

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I just ordered the new Brother 500 from Wal-Mart that costs 300. I know it is a small hoop 4 x 4---but what I really want to use it for is quilt labels. I struggle all the time making them and donated 80 quilts last year to various charities. This is what I can afford for now and I will be excited to learn to use it and grateful I found something in my budget. I will stitch out the writing on white and then border it with complimentary fabric from the front.

I see their free designs are in a PES format. I do not have that on my computer but can look for a free download. I do not want to have to purchase anything else right now to get started. I saw a free flag on the site that would be perfect for Quits Of Valor.
I embroider a great deal and generally use a sharp 80/12. It works on most fabrics. If I'm doing a design on a knit, I use a ballpoint 80/12. If the fabric is pretty fine, I use a 70/11. I even use these same needles when doing metallic theads, I just slow the machine down. Hope this works for you. Good luck with your new machine.