View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 AM
star619

Default Beginner quilt

Originally Posted by MazyZ View Post
Hi all: I've been lurking around for a while, admiring and loving all that I see and the help and support you give each other. My first quilt is kind of a mess, trouble with 1/4", seams that don't match...etc. I really need a block or pattern that will build a little confidence, something that I can be successful at. Any good ideas for me? I DO have the fabric obsession already... how did I miss all of that for so long? Advice will be appreciated. Mazy
All of us have been where you are, so don't lose hope! One of my favorite patterns is called "Pieces of Eight" (pirate movie reference). You assemble fabrics that "go together", perhaps fabrics of a designer's line, and cut out squares 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" assemble them on you design board (or the floor). Once you are happy with the arrangement, sew adjoining blocks together until you have completed a row. Once all rows are stitched together, then sees rows together, and -voila! - you have a quilt top! Be patient, take time to get those 1/4" seams correct, and you can''t lose. Good luck and welcome to our obsession! Debbie Stair