View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

My very first quilt was a sampler. I used a good old fasioned seam guage to check my 1/4" seams constantly and put several layers of masking tape down on my machine bed to mark where the fabric should but against to maintain it. I also agree with turner0106 in that you need to learn and repeat the mantra "good enough" and "close enough". I like samplers because they challenge you and you will learn LOTS of different techniques. Especially if done through a learning to quilt type book. I used this book http://www.amazon.com/Learning-To-Qu...7790145&sr=8-1
It taught you almost everything you would come up against in quiltmaking. Templates, set in seams, curved seams, applique, matching up odd shaped pieces. Yes I did do some ripping but the quilt I ended up with was beautiful and it gave me the confidence to tackle ANY pattern. So if it is confidence you are looking for, challenge yourself. Remember there is a difference between gaining confidence and just making yourself feel good because you could do it but didn't challenge yourself.