Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Bicycle Hobo

Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
Hi everyone-

I just rec'd an email from my LQS--they are closing their doors as of june 30. i have a demo/classroom bernina 450 on lawaway there. my original plan was to pick it up on 7/1 when i recieve a company bonus. However, i'll have to bail it out sooner. I'd like everyone's thoughts...my concerns are:

who will now service my machine. i do not know if the quilt shop has made arrangements for this.
who will now provide me with my new bernina owner classes? I think bernina calls them "mastery" classes.

I now have a lot of reservations about buying this machine. if i have a problem, do i even have recourse? what do you all think????

the flip side is, I could ask for my money back and go to a different dealer, or buy a different machine. I'm a viking owner now, I could buy a new viking and in all liklihood, be very happy.

Betsey
Here is an great example of why I don't deal much with local smaller businesses anymore-especially with sewing machines. I buy from the larger chains with a good long term (at least 3 months) return policy. I also buy simple mechanical sewing machines that are cheaper purchased new than if you take them somewhere to be serviced. I generally service it myself periodically (keep it clean inside & out, stored in a hard case when not in use, & oil it if needed-although the 2 present ones I use now are permanently lubricated at the factory). I usually keep the sewing machine in question 10-25 years (average 18 years) with hard use! What do I need to be depended on stores that always seem to disappear from the landscape or even that I move away?

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 05-23-2012 at 09:33 AM.