Old 05-23-2012, 04:55 PM
HanNatNana

What a coincidence that I just logged in today when I've been MIA for a few months!! Why coincidence??...because just yesterday I started making my latest batch of bras, I find it easier to make several at once than one per session although in saying this it's not really possible (imho) until you have a pattern that is not only comfortable but well fitting.

Vintage, I find the 'best' pattern is to take a bra that fits and is comfortable, doesn't matter about it's condition...you should see mine, lol.... unpick ONE side of the bra and leave the other side intact for reference purposes. This current batch will be all white as I plan on dyeing them in various colours once finished. I've made my own bras for many years although a few times have decided to lash out and buy one but always regret that decision because they never fit as well as my own, nor are they as comfortable.

It takes a bit of searching to get all the bits 'n pieces you'll need, just yesterday I decided I needed some satin-finish FOE (fold over elastic) as the plain old dull one currently in the stash just doesn't look so good with the satin look bra, so this means the bras won't be completed for at least another week until the FOE arrives from the US. In the meantime I'll have to buy more sliders and possibly more (strap) rings.

If you don't wish to buy all these for your trial bra, try your local Op-shop as often you can buy a bra for a $ or two and you have the sliders/rings/back hooks etc. Better still if you know one of the workers there and ask them to save really old bras that people donate and are too far gone to sell...they usually just throw these in the scrap bin and welcome a donation for possibly 6-12 bras that you can scavenge the hardware from. If you prefer to buy new hardware and have to buy in bulk then someone else might be prepared to share a bulk purchase with you....I know I would!

Hope this has helped a little, keep in touch because I'm always interested in chatting with someone making their own bras because it seems not many are interested....they are NOT hard, but they are fiddly and the effort is well worth the result, not to mention the money you save.

Bronwyn ;-)

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Talking about research, I have been researching on bra making. Has anyone made their own bras?

I hate the padded bras since I find them uncomfortable and hot...and really hot and sweaty when having hot flashes.

I'm broad chested, but not well-endowed, 38A...and Cooper's droop is settling in(old age).
Since the bra companies like to make bra cup sizes for the more fully figured ladies that are 38s and above, I'm having a difficult time finding a cup that fits.

I'm laughing at myself right now; I just confused to what I have been researching. You now know that I'm really nuts since I want to make my own bra. I have also been thinking of designs. There has got to be a better way of making a bra that works in lift and is comfy too.

And yes, this bra will be made with a vintage sewing machine!