Old 05-24-2012, 04:54 AM
onaemtnest

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have made soooo many mistakes that I can't really define one exactly, but I remember cutting out 8" squares for the background for my applique Snowmen. After I cut 36 squares out, I reread the instructions and realized they were suppose to be 9". The Snowmen had very many pieces to each one and I had the hardest time making each piece small enough to look right on the smaller block. It made the entire quilt a nightmare. I had to try all different sizes for each piece of the snowman and the trees and birds and fence and house in each block. I know to read the instructions twice and cut once, but I had to learn the hard way. What was your biggest mistake?
I usually read the whole thread before comment however in this case just reading your post I'm commenting right away! You are one tenacious person!!!!!! The following comments are not made in criticism they are made in awe of the kind quilter you are!

1) My brain would have totally fried in trying to make the new applique pieces fit the smaller base fabrics.
2)I don't have a lot of money HOWEVER I would have put those mis-cut 8" squares in my stash pile and purchased another 2.5 yards of base fabric and re-cut my base fabrics to the correct size!!!!!

Hat's off to you!