Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 AM
QuiltMania

Originally Posted by callie8799 View Post
First, thank you for the responses... I'm coming to the conclusion this is something I just need "to do" and not think about. if I need a certain size finished square, I just need to cut the fabric 1/2 inch larger than I need for I am taking a 1/2 inch off the width and length. If I need 1/2 square triangles, I need to add 7/8"... (going to make a cheat sheet at home)...

but I just can't get my head around the reasoning (tell ya, I'm not good at math reasoning) if I taking a 1/4 inch off each side (1/2 " total for width and 1/2" total for length) that still gives me 1" taken off for seam allowances. why isn't that calculated- for 1/2 off width + 1/2 off length = 1").

ugh. guess there are some things I will never understand and that's why we have cheat sheets.... but now I know why my current quilt has gotten wonky...

thank you! :
It ends up being 1/2 inch because the amount being taken off is in different directions. Think of a capital L. The long arm of the L is in the vertical direction. No matter how much you take off in the vertical direction, it will not affect the short arm of the L which is in the horizontal direction.The same is true for the short arm of the L. No matter how much you take off in the horizontal direction, it will never affect the vertical direction because they are in different directions.