Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Bill'sBonBon

Originally Posted by Prism99
The best thing to do is block them. Sharon Schamber has great videos on Youtube that demonstrate how she blocks. One shows how to stretch out a too-small block, while another shows how to shrink a wavy block. Here is a link to one of them. Sorry, I don't remember which video this is. If it's not the one you need, look for another one by her on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3RIWhBvcA

I know Sharon says to use a hard pressboard (she has another video on how to make one of those) but, for the type of applique you have, I think I would use a towel underneath when blocking so the satin stitching has something to sink into.

When I do satin stitch applique like yours, I don't use a stabilizer at all. I starch the background fabric very heavily instead. Before cutting the background fabric, I mix a 1:1 solution of liquid Sta-Flo starch and water. I put the fabric on my kitchen island and "paint" the fabric with this solution using a large wall painting brush. I throw the saturated fabric in the dryer, then steam iron. The fabric comes out nice and stiff and will keep its shape through all kinds of handling. I have had no tunnelling with satin stitch using this method. I always wash my quilts when they are finished and, of course, the starch just washes out. HTH!

Thank You,Thank You Prism99. I looked at Sharons utube Tute. That is what I am going to do. Next time I do this I am going to use your way. I am bookmarking it and printing it out so I can have it in my files.
No more stabilizer for a big project like I have in the Butterflies. Fingers are sore from tearing out that paper.
BillsBonBon