View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aussie croydon
I was wondering if anybody can advise me on the threads you use for stippling. I was advised by my local quilt shop to use Mettler quilt thread on the top and bobbin fill in the bobbin. I am using white in both top and bottom. I am finding it is not stippling evenly and missing stitches. It is also knotting every now and again at the back. I just got my pfaff sewing machine last week after it has been serviced. I have always known that I should have the same weight top and bottom and I did question this at the time but they said it would be fine.
Would appreciate any advise
Cheers Jackie
Try reducing the upper tension. It may be that the Mettler is under too much stress. Also, it may require a larger needle eye. Is it being fed horizontally rather than vertically? Some machines want that horizontal feed for European-wound threads.

I have been able to use different threads top and bottom with my Bernina.

I prefer using a lighter weight thread for stippling, as the finer threads don't make the quilt sandwich as stiff. With Mettler, I prefer using the 60/2 weight (regular is 50/3).

You could try using Mettler both top and bottom, and also try using the bobbin fill both top and bottom.