View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Weezy Rider

Originally Posted by Teri D View Post
This sort of thing is going on in just about any "hobby". I'm an amateur astronomer and we get into discussions about whether it is "cheating" to use those "new fangled" telescopes that automatically orient themselves with built-in GPS systems and then automatically move to a celestial object you select and then track it for you while you "observe" by watching a computer screen! I still like to operate my scopes manually and look through an eyepiece (sometimes while perched on a ladder since one of my scopes is taller than I am!) because I enjoy hunting for stuff -- which takes time and a knowledge of the location of celestial objects in the sky built up over many years of practice. Yes, at times I catch myself thinking that the other folks are "cheating" but then I realize that the whole point is to enjoy the beauty of the creation -- so the method you use is irrelevant. Quilting, like astronomy, reminds me a bit of the biblical passage that goes something like: "in My house there are many mansions".....
Hey - another one. I had the motorized scopes and am now having fun with a 120ST and an alt-az mount.
You're right about the beauty. Overhead and underground. (I like Geology, too) If it wasn't for the prism used to analyze color from starlight, we wouldn't have all these shades and stuff advanced by technology. There's beauty in every quilt - regardless of how it's done. The quilt using the ugliest fabrics and rather rough might have its beauty in the story behind it. Or the beauty of someone trying to teach themselves without any guidance. The fact that they persevered is beauty.