View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Teacup

I loved reading these great memories! One of my favorite things in summer was playing outside at dusk until we got called in at dark...catching fireflies, playing hide-n-seek, etc. Did anyone else have a Popsicle Man who came through your neighborhood? We had an ice cream man in a truck and a Popsicle Man in a van that played chimes as they hit our baby boomer neighborhood full of kids. Money was tight, but sometimes Mom would allow a popsicle treat because it was less than ice cream and two of us could split a popsicle (banana and root beer were my favorite flavors). I loved visiting my grandmother, we'd sit on her front porch glider or back patio swing and she taught me her favorite poems. Loved Memorial Day and Labor Day, when we got together with the side of the family with 20+ cousins at our house. A big cookout, playing ball and all the cousins lining up, smallest to largest, to crank the homemade ice cream freezer. Then the adults "packed it off" in brined ice to harden. Could hardly wait to eat it. And long summer days reading anything I could get my hands on. I would zoom through my library books and re-read my favorite worn paperbacks bought at the Scholastic book sales. I read most of the volumes of our Encyclopedia some summers!