Old 05-26-2012, 04:59 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I will try to do just about anything although some don't come out right. But sewing, my grandma taught me to sew I was about eight when she started teaching me to knit, crochet, quilt and make some clothing. I would have rather been playing ball with the kids and I hated the hour or two a day she had me cornered. Now I am glad she did and I have not stop sewing or making my son sweaters when he was growing up. My passion is wood working and had a business for years after retiring from the Army. I learned this trade by apprenticing off a old German woodworker for about five years. I can't do every thing but I will try it. lol
Glenn, I taught most of my grandsons to sew, but now that some of them are teens most of them no longer sew. When they were little, they thought sewing was really cool. They all made several projects - book covers, place mats, large quilted bags to carry their stuff in when spending the night, and a lap sized quilt. Now, Marcus, the 3-year old wants to learn to sew just because he thinks it is fun - I doubt he keeps it up, though, after he gets a little older! At least one of the boys, who is now 14 can mend for his mom and they all know how to operate a sewing machine! I think that is important since most girls don't even do that anymore - they can't even mend a torn blouse or hem something! Besides in the good old days, most tailors were men! I think it is great that your grandmother taught you to sew and that you still sew! I use to hold a quilt camp here every summer for the grandkids! We had kids all summer anyway and that way they had something to do besides drive us nuts with the quads going all day, gave the horses a break - and it kept them out of Grampa's hair!

Nancy